8/14/09

Latinos Find The Internet….

An extensive new study funded and conducted by the eljumpingbean research department has unearthed some revealing facts about Latinos, technology, the internet, the blogosphere, and social media. First, after some digging we discovered that contrary to popular belief, Latinos were early adopters when it came to social media, and, in fact, may have been well ahead of the curve in many capacities. While revolutionary sites like Facebook and Twitter allow friends and businesses to stay in touch via an array of methods, it is not too different from what already exists in many urban Latino communities - that shrill Morse code whistle (pinkies under both sides of the tongue) used to pierce the neighborhood and let everyone know you’re going to the corner store.

To help Latinos avoid some common pitfalls in these areas, our researchers analyzed the data and compiled the following helpful list of don’ts when it comes to all the gadgets and services available.

Don’t:
  • Google “cock fight”. While your cultural love for battles between evenly matched fighting roosters with razor talons may be insatiable, you might want to take our word on this one. Our intern is still sobbing inconsolably and rocking in the corner.
  • Try to find your best friend from sixth grade, Jose Martinez, on classmates.com. This seems like a great idea at first thought, until you realize that the internet is but a macrocosm of the world. So, if you headed down to the local Garra and shouted “Jose” you would have exactly one in four males turn angrily and reply “Que buey?” – Now multiply this a couple billion times and imagine trying to find a Jose Martinez, the boy who used to eat glue, in that pile.
  • Tell your Abuelita that you are going to go “google” or “download” something. As there has always been, there is a generational technology gap (remember the blinking VCR?) and an innocent comment using the unfamiliar vernacular might cause some serious confusion. You might catch a hasty chanclazo before you’re able to explain yourself. And she’ll have you know that you’re never too old for one.
  • Send your Abue a Facebook request asking her to take a “Which Sex and the City Character Are You?” quiz. It’s all fun and games until you learn that she’s the slutty one.
  • Have your boss as one of your Facebook friends. When you call in sick with a lame cough and your best sick voice and then immediately post the following: “This hangover is kicking my ass” it just might prove a tad problematic.
  • Post your love poetry on your blog. It’s not that good. Sorry. Someone had to tell you. It all sounds like bad freestyle lyrics (yes, a bit redundant, we know). Maybe if you didn’t use the word “baby” at the end of every line and follow a rhyme scheme eerily similar to Green Eggs and Ham. Naw. It’d still suck.
  • Forget to include your name, social security number, blood type, and all credit card numbers when replying to the email from the deposed duke of Burkina Faso who needs your assistance and will transfer you $6 million. It speeds up the process.
  • Tweet any of the following or use it as a Facebook status:
-"Violatin my parole, again. Lol.”
-“Hope the guys I’m smuggling into the country in my trunk are doing well. Blue Honda Lic. Plate #COYO TE ~Honk if u c me.”
-"Maybe Lou Dobbs is right. I’m applying to be a border agent. First order of business: Toss Tia Luisa back from whence she came. Sorry Tia.
-“Watching Harry Potter at the Riverside Mall and recording a bootleg. I’m n da back. Holla. Don’t tell the cops. Lol.”
We hope this proves helpful.

24 comments:

  1. Good stuff today Guapo (even if I feel gay calling you that, not that there is anything wrong with being gay.) Its funny because its true! And since I have never signed in or collaborated with anything since before the hostile take-over (you know) this is---El Creido!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always El Guapo covers all the bases. Nothing escapes his brilliance. What can one say in the face of such mafnifience except for what one cannot spell. oh well
    When you gonna write about me?
    El Jo Ann or is it La Jo Ann
    How come only boys can be El?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following in your wise path, El Guapo, I offer this bit of advice for abuelita when she is using Google to find beauty products: Avoid any searches for "facial cream."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous-

    There is no reason to feel gay calling me El Guapo. It's a statement of fact, like saying "Hey, look at that tree."

    Jo Ann (Author of The Throwaway Piece and White Bread Competition)-
    Thank you, again. Hmmm...If El Guapo is to write about you, you would become La Juana?

    Raul Ramos y Sanchez (Author of America Libre and El Nuevo Alamo)-

    Damn it if I am not a man of science and did precisely what you warned against only to satisfy my curiosity. Now Abue is in the corner, next to the intern, sobbing and rocking inconsolably. Thanks a lot, sir. I'll bill you for her therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are deliciously hilarious. And Raul, ADM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure this article has touched all the internet users, its really really
    fastidious piece of writing on building up new blog.
    My blog post : Technomate

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an awesome paragraph designed for all the online users; they will take advantage from it I am sure.
    Here is my homepage ... illinois skills match profile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning to start
    my own blog soon but I'm having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!
    Feel free to surf my web blog click the next page

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to present something again and help others like you helped me.
    my website: increase page rank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there to all, the contents existing at this site are really remarkable for people knowledge,
    well, keep up the nice work fellows.
    Also see my webpage > zeolite powder

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi to every single one, it's really a nice for me to visit this web site, it contains important Information.
    Feel free to visit my webpage : Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend not to drop a comment, however I looked at a few of the remarks on
    "Latinos Find The Internet....". I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright. Could it be only me or do some of the comments come across like they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other sites, I'd like
    to keep up with everything new you have to post.
    Could you make a list of all of all your social community sites like your Facebook
    page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
    Here is my website - web hosting delhi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!
    Also see my web page: Buy Cheap YouTube Views

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was recommended this blog by means of my cousin.
    I am now not positive whether this submit is written by him as nobody
    else understand such certain about my difficulty. You're wonderful! Thanks!
    Feel free to surf my webpage ikea furniture assembly service

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, the whole thing is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing
    facts, that's really excellent, keep up writing.

    My web site - Shabby Chic Moebel Karlsruhe

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I am reading this impressive post to increase my experience.

    Also visit my webpage ... fingerprint building in thailand
    my web page - oddesity

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good post. I certainly love this site. Keep it
    up!

    Feel free to visit my website :: Love Bite

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I could I desire to recommend you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I want to read more issues approximately it!

    my webpage - safco cart

    ReplyDelete
  19. Highly descriptive article, I loved that bit. Will there
    be a part 2?

    my blog post - topsportsmodel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility problems.
    Whenever I take a look at your website in Safari, it
    looks fine however, when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.

    I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, fantastic website!


    Feel free to visit my blog post ... lose weight with HCG

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's in reality a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    My page - 800 calorie hcg diet

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very rapidly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building visitors, due to it's fastidious articles

    my blog post - hcg diet

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I log on to your new stuff regularly. Your writing style is awesome, keep it up!


    Also visit my webpage :: XXX Video Fix

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and
    tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now
    destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but
    I had to share it with someone!

    My webpage :: wildpartygirls.org

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget